- Maintain a to-do list and highlight the three most important tasks or projects. To-do lists can easily become overwhelming if we find ourselves suddenly listing everything we feel we need to get done. Selecting the three most important items allows you to stay focused and tackle easy wins.
- Continue to celebrate wins by sharing with teammates or peers online as you would at the watercooler.
- Keep a regular schedule by time blocking and share your calendar with your co-workers or peers. Be realistic and honest about any new stressors added to your plate and ask for support where you need it
2. Designate a regular, quiet workspace and keep it organized, inspirational, and clean
- Separate your workspace from spaces that are associated with leisure time.
- Post inspirational quotes or motivational messages near your desk.
- Include plants, natural light, candles, and other items that boost your mood in your workspace.
3. Meal prep and stay hydrated
- Take advantage of being able to make a hot meal on occasion.If you are used to grabbing meals on the go or don’t have time to make meals every day, have weekly lunches prepared in your refrigerator.
- Schedule regular meal times and incorporate healthy foods when available.
- Keep a refillable water bottle at your desk. Your mind and body need water to function properly.
4. Plan ahead and ask yourself:
- What office/school supplies do I need at home?
- What are my most productive times of the day? (Schedule meetings and projects accordingly.)
- What regular appointments do I have that I can carry over to digital meetings?
- What new challenges am I facing due to being remote that I should communicate to my supervisor or professor?
5. Take smart and mindful breaks
- Take a lunch break while including one of the following: practice mindful eating, take your lunch outside, or enjoy a virtual lunch with a colleague.
- Take quick breaks throughout the day as needed. Some examples:
- Re-energize by going for a walk or run outside or do a home workout video.
- Disconnect from electronics when you need a mental break.
- Meditate, pause, or reflect.